Our attorneys are deal driven and provide sophisticated and comprehensive corporate and real estate services to clients. These services include the representation of a client from the beginning to the end of a transaction – from entity formation and structuring, acquisition, financing, development and the ultimate disposition of a transaction. Our clients include major corporations, regional and national real estate developers, investors ranging from individuals to investment entities and major financial institutions. We serve as outside general counsel to many clients, overseeing all legal needs based on our knowledge and experience with the clients. Our projects include retail, office, industrial, residential and mixed use properties. Our experience spans the following areas:
Aquisitions, Dispositions and Development
Our attorneys regularly represent clients in connection with the purchase, sale and development of real estate and other assets.
Representative projects include:
- Development of numerous retail shopping centers throughout the Chicagoland area, including neighborhood strip centers, grocery anchored centers and power centers.
- Represented an industrial developer in the acquisition and development of 117 acres of raw unimproved land in Los Angeles County, California, as well as the approval process to balance the site by grading 2.3 million cubic yards of dirt for the purpose of constructing a 1,300,000 square foot industrial warehouse development in 9 buildings, including mitigation of environmental and wildlife concerns.
- Represented a developer in the acquisition, development and financing of eight million square feet (to date) of airport proximate and general industrial distribution centers throughout the United States, including California, Illinois and Washington.
- Represented one of the largest independent food distributors in the Midwest in the acquisition of 3 warehouse buildings totaling approximately 220,000 square-feet in Arizona, Wisconsin and Illinois using 1031 exchange funds to expand their current facilities.
- Represented a joint venture in the assemblage of 13 commercial and residential properties for the development of a regional shopping center in Fort Wayne, Indiana, including the acquisition and construction financing, sale to a national discount retailer, sale of outlot pads and retail leasing.
- Represented the developer on the financing of a $150 million conversion of a Class C office building into an 80/20 affordable housing mixed-use development using $34 million in City of Chicago TIF Funds, $30 million in Historic Tax Credits, $6 million in Low Income Housing Credits, $50 million Illinois Housing Development Bonds, Freddie Mac credit enhancements and federal grants.
- Represented owner in the sale of (i) Green Hills Mall, an approximately 887,000 square foot regional mall located in Nashville Tennessee, (ii) Gardens on El Paseo, an approximately 200,000 square foot shopping center located in Palm Desert, California, (iii) El Paseo Village, an approximately 40,000 square foot shopping center located in Palm Desert, California, to Taubman Realty Group Limited Partnership and (iv) Plaza Frontenac, .an approximately 480,000 square foot regional shopping center located in the suburbs of St. Louis, MO, to General Growth Properties.
- Represent local restaurant chains in the acquisition of existing space for redevelopment.
Our attorneys represent landlords and tenants in all facets of leasing transactions, including industrial, manufacturing, office and retail leases. Our leasing clients include some of the most prominent industrial, office and retail developers and owners in the country.
Representative projects include:
- Represented landlords in the negotiation of leases with retailers including, without limitation, Nordstrom, Von Maur, Bed Bath & Beyond, Mariano’s, ALDI, Dollar Tree, McDonald’s, Wendy’s, Chik Fil-A, Panda Express, Chipotle, Starbucks, Dunkin’ Donuts and Half Price Books.
- Represented retail developer in the leasing and development of a 250,000-square-foot power center plus five outlot pads in the Chicagoland metropolitan area, including the negotiation of a ground lease with site development components and reciprocal easement and maintenance agreements with a national home improvement retailer.
- Represented industrial clients in the leasing of warehouse space ranging from 10,000 square feet to more than 250,000 square feet.
Our attorneys represent clients in a wide variety of real estate financing transactions nationally, including construction loans, permanent and interim mortgage loans, bridge loans, revolving credit facilities (syndicated and single lender), tax exempt financings, government program financings and mezzanine loans. Our lender clients include banks and financial institutions, as well as private lenders.
Representative experience includes:
- Represented a lender in a syndicated loan of $41,000,000 for the acquisition of certain industrial loft buildings in the City of Chicago adjacent to the downtown DePaul University Campus for the conversion of the property into a student housing development.
- Represented a syndication of banks in connection with a $34,000,000 acquisition/construction loan for a 425 unit multi-family apartment complex in the Chicago suburbs.
- Represented private lender in multiple financings secured by business assets, inventory and receivables.
- Represented manufacturing company in the negotiation of a $60,000,000.00 operating line of credit.
- Represented borrower in construction financing for industrial warehouse and mixed use space.
Restructuring and Distressed Real Estate
Our attorneys represent both lenders and borrowers in loan workouts and debt restructuring transactions, as well as sellers of and investors in distressed debt. Our attorneys have represented clients of all types in debt workouts; loan restructurings; complex loan modifications; pre-negotiation agreements; forbearance agreements; waivers and releases; short sales; foreclosures; acquisition of property in bankruptcy; deed-in-lieu transactions; and note and loan sales.
Representative experience includes:
- Represented secured lender in acquisition and foreclosure of debt through an Article 9 sale and subsequent restructuring of 60 store retail chain.
- Represented purchaser in the acquisition and restructuring of an approximately 30 store fitness chain.
- Represented lender in the acquisition of distressed debt, deed in lieu of foreclosure and ultimate sale of restaurant facility in Aurora, Illinois.
- Represented purchaser in the acquisition and restructuring of 2 private golf clubs.
- Represented the “stalking horse” purchaser in the Giordano’s Pizza bankruptcy, including the redrafting of all leases for the corporate owned real estate.