Marcia Owens is a partner at Hamilton Thies & Lorch LLP. Marcia represents clients in all aspects of business transactions, including, without limitation, real estate, corporate, finance, restructuring. Marcia has experience in retail, office, industrial, and mixed use transactions, with a particular concentration in retail development and commercial leasing and the restructuring and workout of loans and distressed assets.
Education & Admissions
- University of Iowa,
- J.D., Order of the Coif, Note & Comment Editor, Iowa Law Review
- University of Iowa, B.B.A., Economics with honors and high distinction
Areas of Practice
- Acquisitions, Dispositions, and Development
- Commercial Leasing
- Restructuring and Distressed Real Estate
- Illinois Super Lawyer 2013 – 2019 (“Rising Star 2011-2012)
- Illinois Top 50 Women – Super Lawyers (2015)
- Illinois Leading Lawyer 2014 – 2019
- 40 Illinois Attorneys Under 40 To Watch in 2012
- Best Lawyers (2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018)
- Women of Influence Award, Best Lawyers (2017)
- Leadership Award, Coalition of Women’s Initiative in Law (2016)
- Women Making An Impact Award Recipient, Law Bulletin Publishing Company (2015)
- Licensed Illinois Real Estate Broker
- Alta May Hulett Award -- Chicago Bar Association Alliance for Women (2011)
- Top 100 Women Making a Difference -- Today's Chicago Woman (2011)
- Illinois Leading Lawyers: Using Business Acumen for Real Estate Success
- Women of Influence Award, Best Lawyers (2017)
- Coalition of Women's Initiatives in Law
- National Board Chair
- Past President of the Chicago Coalition
- Illinois Legal Aid Online Host Committee 2017
- International Council of Shopping Centers
- Kohl Children's Museum of Greater Chicago, Chair of Marketing Committee and Past Trustee
- Chicago Public Education Fund, Past Member of Leadership Council
- Anti-Defamation League, Past Member of Women of Achievement Committee
- Represented fitness company on the acquisition and financing of the assets of approximately 30 clubs and restructuring of leases.
- Represented secured lender on the financing and workout of a retailer with over 60 retail locations.
- Negotiated numerous leases with retailers including Ulta, Aldi, Nordstrom, Von Maur, Bed, Bath & Beyond, Mariano’s, The Fresh Market, Jewel-Osco, Half Price Books, McDonald’s, Giordano’s, Potbelly Sandwich Works, Walgreens, Dollar Tree, Chick-fil-A, Panera, Xfinity and many others.
- Represented owner of Oak Mill Mall for more than a decade in the financing, leasing and ultimate sale of the asset.
- Represented investor in a sale/leaseback transaction involving 6 restaurant properties.
- Represented regional bank in connection with the disposition and development of an approximately 50 acre mixed use development with town home, condominium and commercial parcels following a deed-in-lieu transaction.
- Represented client in the negotiation of a $60 million line of credit and asset based financing.
- Negotiated refinance of shopping centers in Illinois, Kentucky and Wisconsin with conduit and life insurance financing.
- Represented private lender in providing bridge financing secured by transactions involving real estate and other collateral.
- Represented stalking horse purchaser in the Giordano's bankruptcy, including the negotiation of the lease for Giordano's flagship restaurant.
- Represented private equity client in the negotiation of an office lease for new corporate headquarters in Miami, Florida.
- Represented distributor in the acquisition and expansion of warehouses in Illinois (involving EDGE credits), Arizona and Wisconsin, the disposition, or leasing or refinance of existing facilities.
- Represented investor in acquisition and financing of food manufacturing facility from bankruptcy sale.
- Represented investor in acquisition of restaurant and gaming facility from foreclosure and restructuring of license and lease arrangements on 2 separate occasions.
- Represented retail developer in the leasing and development of a 250,000 square-foot power center plus five outlot pads in the Chicagoland metropolitan area, including the negotiation of a ground lease with site development components and reciprocal easement and maintenance agreements with a national home improvement retailer and construction loan and mezzanine financing in excess of $40 million.
- Represented a developer in an approximately $145 million refinance of a historic loop office tower using a combination of public and private financing including TIF funds, a stimulus grant, tax credits and municipal bonds
- Represented a joint venture in the assemblage of 13 commercial and residential properties for the development of a regional shopping center, including the acquisition and construction financing, sale to a national discount retailer, sale of outlot pads and retail leasing.
Speaking Engagements and Publications
- Speaker, “The Next Generation of Women’s Initiatives,” Kane County Bar Association, 2018.
- Co-Author, “The Next Generation of Women’s Diversity Initiatives”, IILP Review 2017, 2017.
- Author, “Gender Diversity in Law Firms, Our Hope for the Future,” 2014 Top 40 Illinois Attorneys under Forty edition of the Chicago Lawyer, Fall, 2014.
- Author, "Happiness, Accountability and the Mid-Career Crisis," 2013 Women in Law edition of the Chicago Lawyer, December 2013.
- Speaker, Illinois Real Estate Journal 2013 Forecast Conference, January 2013.
- Panelist, "Leasing Group/Assignment and Sublet Committee Call Anatomy of a Sublease," ABA Leasing Group, November 2012.
- Speaker, Illinois Real Estate Journal 2012 Forecast Conference, January 2012.
- Speaker, Illinois Real Estate Journal 2011 Forecast Conference, January 2011.
- Co-Author, “Public Private Partnerships—Programs to Help Complete the Capital Stack,” Client Bulletin, January 2011.
- Panelist, "Balancing Acts," Ms. JD Third Annual Conference of Women in Law, November, 2009.
- Moderator and Panelist, "Expanding the Capital Stack: Alternative Approaches to Financing Development," In-house Seminar, June 2009.
- Co-Author, "Crime and Shopping Centers: Security Factors for Landlords to Consider,” Retail Law Strategist, Vol. 9, Issue 2, February 2009.
- Co-Author, "Changes in the wake of Lane Bryant: security factors for landlords to consider," Illinois Real Estate Journal, November 2008.
- Author, "Chicago's Real Property Transfer Tax to Increase by 40% on April 1, 2008," Client Bulletin, February 2008.
- Speaker, ICSC Idea Exchange, February 2007.