Richard B. Thies is a partner in the firm of Hamilton Thies & Lorch, LLP. The firm was established to provide clients with outstanding expertise in the field of estate and tax planning and to be responsive to client’s needs. The firm is dedicated to serving clients in this area, providing technical expertise and personal, attentive service. Rick’s practice is concentrated in estate planning; probate; trust; closely held corporations; tax planning; and litigation relating to these matters. Rick has worked extensively with individuals in connection with their desire to plan the disposition of their property in the most tax advantageous way. He engages in substantial planning for closely held corporations and the owners and officers of those corporations, including extensive experience with succession planning. Rick has represented many Chicago financial institutions with respect to difficult estate and trust administration issues, and litigation involving trust and estate contested matters.
Education & Admissions
- Loyola University, J.D.
- Miami University of Ohio, B.A.
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh District
- United States Tax Court
Areas of Practice
- Estate Planning
- Business Succession Planning
- Charitable Planning
- Trust and Estate Administration and Probate
- Trust and Estate Litigation
- Tax Controversy
- Chicago Estate Planning Council
- American Bar Association
Speaking Engagements and Publications
- Rick is a frequent speaker to attorneys in connection with professional and educational matters.