Thomas Duffy is a partner at Hamilton Thies & Lorch LLP. Tom has represented a variety of banks in connection with construction loans, commercial mortgage loans, syndicated loans, including lead agent and arranger and participation agreements for over 30 years. Tom also represents developers in all aspects of real estate development, including real estate acquisitions and dispositions, retail, industrial and mixed use developments and related leasing, construction, permanent and securitized lending, intercreditor agreements with mezzanine and subordinate lenders, debt restructuring, work-outs and real estate litigation. He provides ongoing counsel to preeminent shopping centers, multi-family and industrial developers in all aspects of development, including acquisitions of vacant land and annexation to adjacent municipalities, negotiation of municipal development agreements, Brownfield redevelopment, redevelopment of obsolete retail projects, zoning, TIF financing, governmental tax rebates and abatements, special service area agreements, ground leases, site development agreements and reciprocal easement agreements.
Education & Admissions
- DePaul University,
- J.D., Magna Cum Laude
- University of Pennsylvania, B.A.
- U.S. District Court, Norther District of Illinois
- International Council of Shopping Centers
- Represents several banks in connection with construction lending on all types of real estate transactions
- Represented a lender in a syndicated loan of $41,000,000 for the acquisition of certain industrial loft buildings in the City of Chicago adjacent to the downtown DePaul University Campus for the conversion of the property into a student housing development.
- Represented a syndication of banks in connection with a $34,000,000 acquisition/construction loan for a 425 unit multifamily apartment complex in the Chicago suburbs.
- Represented an industrial developer in the acquisition and development of 117 acres of raw unimproved land in Los Angeles County, California, as well as the approval process to balance the site by grading 2.3 million cubic yards of dirt for the purpose of constructing a 1,300,000 square foot industrial warehouse development in 9 buildings, including mitigation of environmental and wildlife concerns.
- Represented Randolph Tower City Apartments in the initial and on-going financing and development issues in the $145,000,000 conversion of a Class C vacant 45-story office building in the Chicago Loop to 313 apartments (20% affordable) and retail ground floor amenities. The Project, which is the largest terra cotta restoration project in the history of the State of Illinois (and one of the largest, if not the largest, in the United States) involves a 29M TIF from the City of Chicago, $50.8M Illinois Housing Development Bonds, $30M Historic Tax Credit purchase by U.S. Bank, $6.5M Low Income Housing Tax Credit from an insurance company, $10M Grant of Federal Investment and Recovery Funds funded through the Illinois Housing Development Authority, Freddie Mac takeout and $78M Construction Loan from CitiBank.
- Represents International Airport Centers, a developer that acquires and develops airport proximate and general industrial distribution centers throughout the United States in the acquisition, financing and leasing of the distribution centers
- Represented a developer in connection with a $22,550,000 Construction Loan for the construction and development of student housing in Tennessee.
- Represented owner in the sale of (i) Green Hills Mall, an approximately 887,000 square foot regional mall located in Nashville Tennessee, (ii) Gardens on El Paseo, an approximately 200,000 square foot shopping center located in Palm Desert, California, and (iii) El Paseo Village, an approximately 40,000 square foot shopping center located in Palm Desert, California, to Taubman Realty Group Limited Partnership.